Emergency Rental Assistance Program
Clay County received $3.6 million in funding from the Federal Government as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act or second stimulus for an Emergence Rental Assistance Program. Clay County was a direct recipient due to having over 200,000 residents. The County’s portion of funds is for tenants needing rental and/or utility assistance in areas OUTSIDE of Kansas City, MO. Payments go to landlords and utility providers in order to make past due bills whole and potentially cover future needs.
Since there can be no overlapping jurisdictions or duplication of benefits, Kansas City, MO will be administering its own funds for Clay County residents also living in Kansas City, MO. To visit the Kansas City assistance webpage, click here.
Please Note: The application link for Clay County citizens outside of Kansas City will be posted here once live. Please follow this page for updates.
Those seeking assistance must meet the following income and eligibility requirements. An "eligible household" is defined as a renter household where one or more individuals:
- has qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income or has incurred significant costs or experienced financial hardship directly or indirectly related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability including:
- a past due utility
- rent or eviction notice
- any other evidence of such risk
- has a household income at or below 80 percent of the area median income (AMI)
Eligible applicants must also demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability (past due rent, eviction notices), if any, as part of the application process. Eligible households may receive up to 12 months assistance.
Emergency assistance funding can be used for:
- Current and past due rent
- Current and past due utility bills
Local Assistance & PARTNERS
Clay County will be partnering with local community agencies to provide services and distribute funding. Partnering nonprofits and their contact information will be posted here once finalized.