Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Real Estate Questions

The Recorder of Deeds office is governed by the statutes of Missouri. It records, maintains and preserves the real estate land records of Clay County.

We do not determine legality or validity of documents presented for recording. 

Q:  How do I change my name, add someone to my deed, or remove someone from my deed?

A:  Changes cannot be made to a recorded document as it is a permanent record.  If you want to make changes to the title, a new legal document would need to be prepared and recorded at the current recording fee rate.  We do not have blank forms as we cannot prepare legal documents.  You may either prepare it yourself or contact a real estate attorney to prepare it on your behalf.  If you choose to prepare the document yourself it will need to meet all Missouri statutory requirements. (Example document types: Quit Claim Deed or Warranty Deed).  You may be able to get Missouri standardized forms on the internet or at a local office supply retailer.

Q:  Are there any liens on my property?

A:  It is against state statutes for us to perform searches of the records and make determinations as to the existence of liens against your property. We provide a public access computer in our office for your use or internet access to our records from 1968 to date.   You may wish to contact a title company to conduct a search on your behalf.

Q:  How do I get a copy of my deed and/or legal description?

A:  Our records are indexed alphabetically by name, not geographical. location. Searches cannot be performed by address or location. It is best to contact the Clay County Assessor’s office real estate division, to get a printout of your property. This should give you the book and page of the deed referenced which will enable us to expedite your copy request.

Q:  I’ve paid off my house, when do I get my title?

A:  A house is not like an automobile in that when you pay it off you get the title.  You should receive the "title" or proof of ownership to your house shortly after you purchase it.  It will be a deed from the seller conveying the property to you.  When you pay off a loan a Release is recorded specific to the Deed of Trust that was paid off, but the release is not a document that proves ownership.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Q:  What are your recording fees?

A:  Our recording fees are based upon page count; $24 for the first page and $3 for each additional page per document for standard documents. See the fee schedule tab for more information.

Q:  Do I need to record this document?

A:  We do not determine which documents need to be recorded.  We are here to make sure that the documents presented to us for recordation meet all state requirements, and then once recorded, are maintained permanently.            

Q:  Do you accept debit or credit cards?

A:  We accept credit cards, cash and checks (except for Marriage Licenses which are cash and credit cards only).  There is a transaction fee charged by the processor for credit cards. 

Q:  Can you fax me a copy?

A:  We do charge for copies, but with credit card payment we can fax, email or even mail you a hard copy.  If you don’t need something certified and a copy will do, you can obtain a “web” copy from our website, by going to the "online access" section (NOTE: you must register as a new user to view and print).

Q:  Can you tell me how much a house sold for?

A:  Sales price is not of public record in Clay County. The Clay County Assessor’s office may be able to tell you the market value for the area.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Q:  Can you tell me when my house was built?

A:  Our records do not pertain to the structure on the property, but to the land itself.  You may research our records to see if there were any deeds involving a builder.  Or, the Assessor’s office may be able to give you a general idea of when the property went from being assessed as vacant to being assessed with improvements, which might give you some idea of when the house was built.

Q:  Do you know what houses are being foreclosed or sold on the courthouse steps?

A:   For information regarding foreclosures, please check the Kearney Courier or The Excelsior Springs Daily Standard, then contact the trustee listed in the notice.

Clay County, Mo.

Contact Us

Clay County Recorder of Deeds
Sandra Brock

Department Location:

Administration Building
1 Courthouse Sq.
Liberty, MO 64068

No office location at the Annex

Mailing Address

PO Box 238
Liberty MO 64069


General Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

ML Information Line: 816-407-3560

Phone: (816) 407-3550

E-mail Recorder's Office