Recorder of Deeds
Our mission at the Recorder’s office is to maintain a comprehensive set of public records according to the statutes of the State of Missouri while providing ease of access to these records which contain public information. In an effort to continually accomplish this mission, a state of the art automated system has been implemented so that documents are scanned and preserved electronically upon their presentation to the office. This system makes most records readily available for viewing and speeds up the recording process.
Documents were hand recorded in books until 1986 when an automated database was started. The Clay County Recorder’s Office began digital imaging of daily records in August 1999. All documents from the inception of this office to the present will be digitized for preservation. We are also working on indexing all documents not currently accessible electronically so that these too can be searched online as soon as possible.
The Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording many types of documents including:
- Real Estate Deeds
- Subdivision Plats
- Powers of Attorney
- Tax Liens
- Uniform Commercial Code Documents (real estate only)
- Military Discharges
- Marriage Licenses
This list is not exhaustive but shows the more commonly recorded items.
In addition to recording documents, the Recorder of Deeds Office also issues marriage licenses.
We hope to be of service to you. If you have any suggestions or complaints, please notify us at 816-407-3550.
Hours of Operation
- Staffed hours: 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. Closed on holidays listed on the county website.
- Recordings accepted until 4 pm. (No recordings accepted after 4 pm.)
- Marriage licenses issued until 4:30 pm. No marriage licenses issued after 4:30 pm.
- Credit cards accepted at the Main location until 4:30 pm. There is a transaction fee charged by the processor on credit card transactions.
- Staffed hours: Monday through Friday 8 am until 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm until 5. Closed 1:30 to 2:30 for lunch and on holidays listed on the county website.
- Recordings accepted until 4 pm. Closed 1:30 to 2:30 for lunch. No recordings accepted after 4 pm.
- Marriage licenses issued until 4 pm. Main location issues marriage licenses until 4:30 pm.
- Credit cards are accepted at the Annex locations until 4 pm. There is a transaction fee charged by the processor on credit card transactions.
2015 Recorder’s Preservation Fund Revenues & Expenses
2016 Recorder’s Preservation Fund Revenues & Expenses
2017 Recorder’s Preservation Fund Revenues & Expenses
2018 Recorder's Preservation Fund Revenues & Expenses