Clay County Collector
2013 PERSONAL PROPERTY AND REAL ESTATE TAX BILLS ARE NOW AVAILABLE.
If your mortgage company pays your taxes out of an escrow account, you may not receive a bill—it may have been sent directly to them. PLEASE VERIFY tax payments with your mortgage company.
All taxes are due by December 31, 2013,
whether or not you receive a bill.
RESIDENTS OF ALL CITIES IN CLAY COUNTY
Cities in Clay County have contracted with the Collector’s Office to incorporate their city tax amounts into existing county tax bills. Please be assured that your bill will still be handled with the utmost care.
- Paid tax receipts will not be issued until all amounts appearing on your county bill have been paid—including city taxes and special assessments.
- If you owe past due taxes to your city, those past due taxes may appear on your county bill as a special assessment from your city. This lump sum assessment represents all past due taxes you owed your city, for all tax years, including all interest and penalties owed to your city.
- If you have any questions about special assessments or delinquent amounts owed to your city, you must contact your city. We are collecting an amount that was given to us by your city, and we cannot change that amount without notification from your city. However, all regular taxes on the bill may be paid, and questions about those amounts answered, at either of our office locations.
- If you pay your bill after December 31, 2013, a one-time penalty of 7% will be charged on all taxes and assessments appearing on your bill (for city delinquent taxes that were reported to us in 2013, interest and penalty will not accrue during 2013. However, interest and penalties will begin again on amounts that are not paid on or before December 31) —for both your city and Clay County. Interest will accrue on all city and county taxes at the rate of 1.5% per month.
Why is my city doing this?
- Cities will save on administrative costs since they will receive their money without having to mail, track, and collect each bill.
- If there is a correction to be made on your bill, you will contact the county Assessor’s office and the change they make will affect both county and city amounts due. There will be no more need to then go to your city and make the change twice.
- With only one bill, it will be easier to manage coordinating payments coming from escrow accounts or lease companies. Most companies are already set up to pay county bills, so your city taxes will be paid at the same time.
- Cities will have a higher collection rate, giving them more money to pay for city services.
- Since city taxes will now be on your county bill, the full amount due on the bill will be higher. If you have been used to paying the two bills at different times, we understand. Clay County now takes partial payments. All payments will be pro-rated to each taxing entity until the bill is paid. After December 31, interest and penalty will continue to accrue on the reduced balance, so pay as much as you can on time.
- To address the issue of unpaid taxes for past years, any delinquent taxes you owe to your city will be added to your 2013 county bill as well. We understand that this isn’t the best news you may have heard, but cities do depend on this money for day to day operations.
NEED TO MAKE A PAYMENT WHEN WE'RE CLOSED?
Use our outdoor drop boxes! If you drop your payment in our outdoor boxes, you can pick up your receipt or access it online in 3 business days, or we can mail it to you.
PLEASE PAY ONLINE
You NO LONGER NEED a PIN to pay online, and you can print your receipt immediately from home.
YOU CAN NOW MAKE PARTIAL PAYMENTS
We accept partial payments at both office locations, and in our internal and external drop boxes. Interest and penalty will still accrue on the unpaid balance, and you will not be able to renew your tags until your bill is paid IN FULL. We cannot currently accept partial payments online.
- One Courthouse Square, Liberty, MO 64068 (The large, white building in the center of the historical Liberty square.)
- 1901 NE 48th Street, Kansas City, MO 64118 (Just west of the intersection of Antioch and Vivion. Next to Northgate Middle School.)
- Maps & Directions
We take payments until 5:00 at our Liberty location, and until 4:30 at our Annex location. PLEASE WATCH THE TIME! In order to serve everyone by closing time, we will cut off the line early as needed.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *