Recycling Regulations and Locations in Clay County
(last changed: 5/11/2015)
- Here is a perfect opportunity to clear your book shelves, attic or basement of old books, magazines and video materials. BooksKC will be holding a Spring Cleaning Book Drive on May 23, 2015. more...
- 6/13/2015 | Household Hazardous Waste Mobile Collection Event - Gladstone
- The MARC Solid Waste Management District has developed a resource kit to promote the Household Hazardous Waste events. Take a look!
- Kansas City, MO opened up a new yard waste drop-off facility that is open to all residents. It is located on 11660 N Main St (NE corner of NE Cookingham Dr and N Main St)
- Link: http://kcmo.gov/publicworks/leafbrushdropoff/
RecycleSpot.org, sponsored by the MARC Solid Waste Management District, is your go-to resource for discovering recycling providers in the Greater KC Area. Read more
Composting Yard Waste
Composting, the easy, practical way to turn yard waste into a soil enriching resource, is gaining momentum nationwide. Your own back yard is the best place to start. The cheapest, most efficient and environmentally safe way to recycle yard waste is to keep clippings, branches, flowers and leaves in a compost pile. You can build your own compost structure from wire wood or fencing.
Hazardous Waste in Your House
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes household cleaners, lawn and garden products, automotive fluids, paints and paint-related products. Common HHW products that can be taken to a collection facility include:
- Automotive products
- CFL light bulbs
- Hazardous cleaners
- Hazardous liquids
- Household cleaners
- Lawn and garden products
- Paint and paint related products
- Photographic chemicals
- Pool chemicals
- Used Oil
Facility does not accept:
- Yard waste
- Commercial waste
- Pressurized gas cylinders
- Items containing asbestos
Residents of the participating communities in Clay County have access to centers in Kansas City and also to a number of mobile collections held throughout the County, free of charge.
You must bring ID with proof of residency. There is a disposal charge per vehicle for residents of non-participating communities.
For more information please visit www.recyclespot.org and click on the “HHW” tab, or call 816-701-8226.
Leaves & Brush Drop-Off locations
Locations, drop-off times, residency requirements, fees and closing dates are here:
Unauthorized dumping is illegal. If you see an act of illegal dumping within Clay County Parks, or surrounding roadways, contact the Parks Department at (816) 407-3400 with the location, time, date, description and vehicle license plate number.
For all other acts of illegal dumping, contact the Clay County Sheriff's Department at (816) 407-3700.