Illegal Businesses

All land in unincorporated Clay County is subject to County zoning regulations. It is illegal to operate a business or use of property that is not in conformance with the use standards established under Section 6 of the Clay County Land Development Code ("LDC").

Home Occupation Permit

Certain business uses on residentially zoned property are allowed in Clay County with the application for a Home Occupation (HO) Permit from the Clay County Planning & Zoning Department..  Click here to view more information on HO Permits.


Our Jurisdiction

The Clay County Planning & Zoning Department has home rule jurisdiction or control over only the unincorporated areas of the County, or those areas outside of city limits. If you live within an incorporated city, you will need to contact your city regarding any planning and zoning matters as only they have control inside their city boundaries.

contact us

Clay County

Planning & Zoning Department


Kipp Jones



234 W. Shrader

Suite C
Liberty, Missouri 64068

phone: (816) 407-3380
fax: (816) 407-3381