Clay County has adopted various building and construction codes listed below. These adopted codes are copyrighted and far too voluminous to be made available here, but can be obtained through the corresponding websites of the authoring organizations (IAPMO and NFPA., and ICC). To review the adopted building codes in person through Clay County, please schedule a meeting with the Building Official at (816) 407-3388 or Email .
*** UPDATE *** 2012 Codes
The Clay County Commission approved the adoption of the 2012 family of building and construction codes with amendments by way of ordinance number 2012-ORD-24. The new 2012 codes will go into effect January 1, 2013, and include the following:
- 2012 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2012 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2012 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2012 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2012 International Fire Code (IFC)
- 2011 National Electrical Code (NEC)
IMPORTANT NOTE: During the iterim the previously adoped codes below will apply.
- 2006 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2006 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2006 Uniform Mechanical Code (UMC)
- 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC)
- 2006 Uniform Fire Code (UFC)
- 2005 National Electrical Code (NEC)
In 2010, Clay County adopted by reference with 1 amendment ICC 700 National Green Building Standard™ (NGBS). Click here to see the County Commission Ordinance approving the Clay County Green Building Code (2010-ORD-33). It is important to note that the Clay County Green Building Code is voluntary, not mandatory for all construction.
The resulting NGBS is the first and only residential green building rating system to undergo the full consensus process and receive approval from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). The Standard defines green building for single- and multifamily homes, residential remodeling projects, and site development projects while still allowing for the flexibility required for regionally-appropriate best green practices.